Exploring Our Places
Alabama launched a three-year celebration that honors its 200th birthday. The theme of 2017 was “Exploring Our Places.” Below, you will see what we have learned about some of the historic places in Marshall County.
Arab Farmer’s Exchange
Located in downtown Arab stands a building full of historic charm known as the Arab Farmers Exchange. The Farmers Exchange is one of the oldest businesses in Arab. Built by Bill Harrison in 1933, the Farmers Exchange provided farmers a place where they could swap what they had for what they needed. Today, the Farmers Exchange is operating as the Flower Exchange, a local nursery, they also have a wide selection of home décor and gifts. The Flower Exchange is operating in the original building from 1933.
Address: 31 N Main St, Arab, AL 35016
Hours of operation: Monday-Sunday 9:00AM- 5:00PM
Phone Number: 256-586-5455
Ruth Boyd homestead, Arab
The Boyd Homestead, a farmhouse built in 1890, complete with a smokehouse and an outside toilet, was donated by Lola Boyd. A retired school teacher, Mrs. Boyd was born and lived all of her 99 years in the house. Part of the Arab Historic Village, the home is one of eight buildings restored by the Arab Historic Society as a tribute to the pioneering people of the area.
Address: 224 City Park Dr SE, Arab, AL 35016
Tour Times: The buildings are open March-October on Thursdays & Fridays of each week from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, and Saturdays from 1:00 to 4:00 pm. If you are visiting Arab at other times and would like to visit the Village, you may call 256-586-6397 or 256-550-0290.
First high school, Arab
In the early 1900s, students from Arab traveled by buggy to Guntersville and then by train to Albertville to attend Albertville High School. Because of the difficult journey, students were often away from home for months. Local townspeople, determined to provide a more accessible education opportunity, mortgaged their homes to raise money and spent many long hours cutting and hauling logs to saw mills and planers to complete the inside. Students staged plays and talent shows to help pay debts and the building was finally completed on land originally owned by Arab founder, Stephen Tuttle Thompson.
Address: At the intersection of 4th Avenue NW and 1st Street NW, Arab, Alabama
Tour times: The First High School is accessible from the road and makes great photo opportunities.
Old red mill/double bridges, Albertville
The exact age of the mill is not known but has been a landmark in the community for several generations. Located at the convergence of Scarham and Whipperwill Creeks, the area has supported at least two stores through the years…one owned by I.E. Powell in the 1940s and the other by previous owner of the property, L.G. Belue, in the 1960s and 1970s. The mill building has not been used for as long as many locals can remember.
Address: Turn left onto Broad St, go less than one mile and angle left onto Martling Road. Go four miles and Old Red Mill will be on your left side.
Tour Times: Old Red Mill is accessible from the road and makes great photo opportunities.
Hogan Jackson home, Albertville
Now owned by the Jones family, the Hogan Jackson home was built about 1937 and has had only two other owners: Hogan Jackson and his son Wilkins. Hogan moved to Albertville in 1904 and established the Bank of Albertville, known later as the Albertville National Bank. He set up trusts benefitting many churches, charities and institutions that continue to benefit from his generosity. Actress Kate Jackson of Charlie’s Angels fame is Hogan Jackson’s granddaughter. Currently, the Hogan Jackson home is a private residence.
Address: 413 East Main Street, Albertville AL 35950
Tour Times: The Hogan Jackson home is a private residence, tours are not available.
Albertville train depot
The Albertville Depot is one of Marshall County's older transportation landmarks and is the oldest building in a town which was leveled by a tornado in 1908. A series of disasters, which included two fires in 1905 and a tornado in 1908, left the depot as the only surviving business structure of the 1890's. The Albertville train depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 221 East Main Street, Albertville AL 35950
Tour Times: The train depot is accessible from the road and makes great photo opportunities.
Old Post Office, Albertville
In 1930, the citizens of Albertville were notified that they would be getting a new post office building. The site chosen for the new post office was 107 West Main Street. By late fall 1931, site preparation begun, and by the first of the year construction was well on its way. This facility would serve as Albertville’s Post Office until 1984. Construction began in 1982 on a new facility, situated at the corner of Hambrick Street and Alabama Ave. In 1984 the new post office was opened, and the old location became the home of the Albertville City School Board.
Address: 107 W Main St, Albertville, AL 35950
Tour Times: The Old Post Office is accessible from the road and makes great photo opportunities.
The Lumpkin House, Albertville
The Lumpkin House located at 699 Carlisle Street in Albertville was originally the home of John Berry Hay and Mattie Wakefield Lumpkin. The house is located on their farm and was built in 1950. The Lumpkin House remained in the Lumpkin Family until sold a few years ago and presently houses an event business. The beautiful home is frequently used as a back drop for pictures.
Address: 699 N Carlisle St, Albertville, AL 35951
Tour Times: The Lumpkin House is accessible from the road and makes great photo opportunities.
McCollum/Brindley House, Albertville
The McCollum/Brindley House was built in approximately 1900. It was one of many houses that sustained damage in the cyclone of 1908, when a porch off the bedroom was destroyed. Currently, the McCollum/Brindley house is a private residence.
Tour Times: Tours aren’t available; The McCollum/Brindley home is a private residence.
Chrome Fire Hydrant, Albertville Chamber Of Commerce
Outside the Albertville Chamber of Commerce stands a salute to Albertville's legacy as the "fire hydrant capital of the world," in 1991 a polished chrome hydrant was placed on a pedestal of marble there to celebrate the Mueller Co. producing its one-millionth hydrant.
Address: 316 Sand Mountain Drive, Albertville, AL 35950
Tour Times: The Chrome Fire Hydrant is accessible from the road and makes great photo opportunities.
Christ Episcopal Church, Albertville
Located on east Main Street, this 129-year-old building was originally located in Piedmont, Alabama. The Christ Episcopal Church family traces its origins to Guntersville Episcopal Church, who served as the sponsor church. The Church had set vacant for forty years before relocating to Albertville. Christ Episcopal Church was moved to its present location in the seventies.
Address: 607 East Main Street, Albertville, AL 35950
Phone Number: 256-878-3243
Saunders Hotel, Albertville
On August 19, 1932, the Saunders Hotel held its grand opening. The Saunders Hotel had incorporated some of the most modern concepts of hotel design of that day. This was a phenomenal feat when one remembers that this took place during the days of the Great Depression. The 30-room structure was built to replace the original Saunders Hotel, which had caught fire in 1930.
Pre-Civil War Cemetery, Albertville
Located on West Main Street, lies the final resting place of the majority of the towns forefathers. During the mid 1800’s, the site was occupied by the Jones Chapel Methodist Church, the forerunner of today’s First Methodist Church. Some of the towns ancestors buried in the cemetery are the Town’s namesake, Thomas A Albert, First Mayor W.M. “Bob” Coleman, and members of the Walker, Clemons, and Hall Families.
Address: AL Hwy. 205, W. Main St. Albertville, AL 35950
Tour Times: Open dawn-dusk; call for museum tour schedule
Phone Number: 256-878-0605
Dr. Marston Hunts Office
Dr. Marston Hunt was a well-known physician in Boaz from 1935-1975 and one of the founders of the Boaz-Albertville Hospital in 1956. His office was built in the late 1930’s/early 1940’s and is regarded for its architectural appeal and modernistic design back in its day.
Address: 303 Thomas Ave, Boaz, AL 35957
Tour Times: Dr. Marston Hunt’s office is accessible from the road and makes great photo opportunities
Snead State Community College
The only college in Marshall County, Snead State community college originated in 1898, when the Boaz Seminary was authorized by the Methodist Episcopal Church. The E.B.L. Elder family arrived in Boaz in June of 1899 and later opened the seminary in their home with an enrollment of 70 pupils. It was soon renamed in honor of John H. Snead, a Boaz businessman who contributed land, money, and leadership to the Seminary. The administration building is the oldest on campus and is one of 20 buildings.
Address: 220 N Walnut St, Boaz, AL 35957
Tour times: Campus tours are given by student Ambassadors by appointment only on Tuesdays and Fridays at 10:30 a.m. Appointments should be made a minimum of two days in advance.
Phone Number: 256-571-0600
The home was built in 1924 by E.F. Whitman, the first mayor of Boaz. Its low roof and wide piers along the porch are the Prairie style made famous by Frank Lloyd Wright, as well as elements of the Craftsman style that became common in the early 1900s. In 1941, the house was purchased by Dr. Marston Hunt, where he received after-hours patients there. In 1993, it was opened as the Boaz Bed and Breakfast for a few years and in 1997 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Address: 200 Thomas Ave, Boaz, AL 35957
Tour times: The Whitman-Hunt House is accessible from the road and makes great photo opportunities.
Built in 1900 the Snellgrove house in Boaz is one of the oldest homes in Boaz that is still standing and features design elements of both the Folk Victorian and the Greek revival periods. It was designed and built by its original owner, Thomas Snellgrove, who had the first official Boaz marriage to Elizabeth Williamson. Currently, the Snellgrove home is a private residence. 5115 E. Mann Avenue, Boaz
Julia Street First United Methodist Church
Built in 1917 Julia Street First United Methodist Church was named not for a “street”, but rather one of the church’s most influential members. Mrs. Julia Street was the mother of Jane Street Whitman, the wife of the first mayor of Boaz, E.F. Whitman. The church was listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1995 and continues to be a very iconic structure of history and rich Methodist heritage in Boaz today.
Old Rock Armory
The old rock armory was built in 1936 as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration. The local National Guard, Company E of the 167th Infantry, Second Battalion, trained and was stationed here. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006 and has housed the Guntersville Museum & Cultural Center since 2007. Location: 1215 Rayburn Ave, Guntersville, AL 35976
The Gunersville Dam
The Guntersville Dam was the fourth of the Tennessee Valley Authority’s nine dams. Construction began in 1935 and completion was in 1939. Although controversial at the time, the dam has successfully harnessed natural resources and brought power and recreation to the area.
Address: 3464 Snow Point Rd., Guntersville, Ala. 35976
Tour Times: There is a visitor center on site where you can learn more about the history of the Tennessee Valley Authority and Guntersville Dam, and about TVA's current activities. The area below the dam offers unique opportunities for day hiking and caving. Also, TVA offers group picnic pavilions.
Montgomery Gilbreath Home
Located at 353 Blount Avenue, Guntersville, the Colonel Montgomery Gilbreath House was constructed ca 1853, and is one of only two houses left standing after the Civil War. It is widely believed the house was spared because Colonel Gilbreath was a Mason, as was the Yankee in charge of the burning of Guntersville. Today it is the home of the Guntersville Historical Society.
Address: 353 Blount Ave, Guntersville, AL 35976
Tour Times: 9:00AM-Noon on Saturdays during the summer months. Also,
Schedule tours year-round by calling 256-572-9924
Phone Number: 256-572-9924